mdiscuz.com

Forgot password?
 立即註冊
Search
Hot search: 活動 交友 discuz
View: 22|Reply: 0

Biggest news in NZ at the moment is the impending electricity supply shortage pr

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

新手上路

Credits
QQ
Post time 2013-2-10 20:31:08 | Show all posts |Read mode
Of course, it is not too bad at the mo, and NZ winters, in the main centres, are a few degrees warmer than many parts of UK, but it will be cold enough, once you have sat there all night.Biggest news in NZ at the moment is the impending electricity supply shortage, predicted to hit us with full force this coming winter. Homes with gas heating are more rare here and, in any case, as I said above, Maui gas field reserves being smaller than hoped has also pushed the price of gas up, and so you get hit there too.

You find NZ incredibly cheap? Rents and mortgages are cheap compared to wages, everything else is not. Still, with the limited job market in NZ, OEs are more and more becoming stayOEs - Aus is currently receiving 32,000 more NZers as permanent stayers per year than it exports, for example. Of course, it is not too bad at the mo, and NZ winters, in the main centres, are a few degrees warmer than many parts of UK, but it will be cold enough, once you have sat there all night.

Phil.
As for your monthly bill being more than your quarterly UK bill, thats complete rubbish. Blimey, NZ really does take you back a bit - sometimes it feels like a privileged chance to see what my parents' life was like then they were my age.Instead of being prudent, and leaving it in the ground.STOP PRESS!!! Just heard on the radio that Contact Energy, one of the main suppliers here, has already started cutting hot water supplies for 5 hours a day.5yrs in NZ I haven't seen huge price hikes so far. It is a real shame that NZ radio is not on the net cos it would be a great way to get in touch with the country before you arrive.

Cheers for a very interesting reply. This is the major drawback of using renewables - you are dependant on the weather. Time will tell. However, it is, still, even using the inappropriate 2. This is tried and tested technology so get on and build one. Perhaps this explains why so many Kiwis go to London to earn their deposits for back home. I hope your optimism is rewarded.8 million and then start falling so it will never have to confront many of the difficulties that more densely-populated countries face. Admittedly, rent is a large part of one's outgoings, so yes, you can get by. The OE is increasingly becoming more about economics than genealogy for many. How can events which may or may not take place in the future - blackouts, etc - be more or less factual? They haven't taken place yet.Because they use huge amounts of electricity, instead of being tied-down to a specific price per megawatt, they take their chances with the spot price, in which power is sold in 30 minute 'blocks'.

Originally posted by Slippers
As I said, I found much of BritboyNZ's points on renewables well made.Certainly nowhere near as low as $35,000. You will know that everyone else, including energy minister Pete Hodgson, is comparing it to the much more serious events of 1992.Insurance - easily £400.
Never been to NZ, not planning on living there . It is commonly agreed that NZ lacks capacity for elec generation and this is what prompts Helen Clark's we cannot pray for rain every year remarks when questioned about it on her euro tour this week. However, NZ benefits greatly - in terms of products, ideas, new skills, markets for their agricultural exports, etc - from such dirty, over-crowded places.

Even if it rains for a month in the catchment areas and the danger passes, it still needs to take positive action to eliminate the risk again next year, and to reassure buisness and it's own population.e. In time, the very high prices will, presumably, have an impact on all business, cos they are certainly having an impact on ordinary householders. Litre mark ($2. Residential users do NOT use spot price electricity - the household retailers like Mercury Enegy, Trustpower etc etc all buy their electricity at a fixed price, negotiated months in advance. If that does not do the trick, there will be rolling blackouts (i.Britboy's comments were more factual

Originally posted by amymatt
I disagree.

Use magic Report

Advanced Mode
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies

Points Rules

Archiver|mdiscuz

2017-7-28 00:46 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.178231 second(s), 30 queries , Gzip On.

Get a Discuz Forum