新手上路

Credits
QQ
Post time 2014-4-7 05:00:22 | Show all posts |Read mode
I wish you good luck.

I wish you good luck.Sorry about that!

KadyOriginally posted by Rete
Crusty

Quake has it right and yet has it wrong.If you were to wait for your girl friend's divorce to be final and then married, you would be out of status from the date you were suppose to leave the US until the date of the acceptance of your filing with INS for adjustment of status based on marriage to a citizen.

The decision is yours to make.My visa waiver runs out on the first week in March. so i did it.

I'm not an attorney and can only relate to you what I've seen, learned and watched others experience over the years.If you were to wait for your girl friend's divorce to be final and then married, you would be out of status from the date you were suppose to leave the US until the date of the acceptance of your filing with INS for adjustment of status based on marriage to a citizen. Hope this helps.

Second, you should not run into problems with a visa overstay if your overstay is less than 180 days before you get married. I'm not ;-)) Thanks. It is against the law to come into the country on a visa waiver with the intent to marry and then doing it.While one cannot use the VWP to enter the US for the intent of marriage and staying within the US to adjust status, if one is in the US, falls in loves and marries, they can marry and adjust status. Hope this helps. That's just what I have been told.How do I get in touch with Rete? And does anyone know of an immigration lawyer that would give some free advice?
hey no one is stoping you form doing anything you want, i dont know really with your method of doing it i simply rung the INS they told me the way im doing it was the best and fastist in the long run.

So, since you didn't come into the country with intent to marry then there is no problem there as long as you can prove your lack of intent to marry to the INS and they believe you. He was suppose to go back on 2-1 according to his I-94 and round trip ticket. Remember to immediately file to adjust your status as soon as you marry. After you're married, AOS are more speedy than fiancee' petitions I am told but who knows with the INS. My husband came from England on a visa waiver 11-02, we got married on 1-2-03 and applied for AOS on 1-14. It is against the law to come into the country on a visa waiver with the intent to marry and then doing it.

Second, you should not run into problems with a visa overstay if your overstay is less than 180 days before you get married.Originally posted by crusty
HI KADY what is ng?

First, it is NOT against the law to marry on a visa waiver. Ask Rete, she will know for certain. He won't serve you personally, he just gives advice on here but maybe he could point you in the right direction. I told them that you could probably help them and they didn't know how to get a hold of you.We were hoping to be married by now, but the problem is her divorce isn't final yet and we just found out it won't be final until the 1st week in April at the latest.
Kady
Originally posted by crusty
I was told that it isn't illegal to marry on a tourist visa.INS will allow you to adjust status barring any fraudulent intent made at the POE when you entered.

Cheers,

Leslie

Originally posted by Scout
First, it is NOT against the law to marry on a visa waiver. He won't serve you personally, he just gives advice on here but maybe he could point you in the right direction.While one cannot use the VWP to enter the US for the intent of marriage and staying within the US to adjust status, if one is in the US, falls in loves and marries, they can marry and adjust status.Does anyone know for certain?
yes you can read it up on the immgration website, your intent on the visa wavier is not to marry, you could also ring the INS, number found on there website if you would like them to comfirm this

you could face up to a 10 year ban from the US for overstaying on your visa
It's really not against the law to marry on a visa waiver IF you can prove you didn't come into the country with the intent to marry.My question is this: can I overstay until April and still get married after my visa has expired?

Originally posted by crusty
To quake:I didn't come here with the intent to marry, this decision was made just recently.Safe meaning that if you were to apply for advance parole so that you could leave the US and re-enter it while the adjustment is pending you would not be banned from re-entry.

Kady
Originally posted by quake
yes you can read it up on the immgration website, your intent on the visa wavier is not to marry, you could also ring the INS, number found on there website if you would like them to comfirm this

you could face up to a 10 year ban from the US for overstaying on your visa

Originally posted by Kady
It's really not against the law to marry on a visa waiver IF you can prove you didn't come into the country with the intent to marry.I have fallen in love with a woman here and have asked her to marry me, she accepted.

So, since you didn't come into the country with intent to marry then there is no problem there as long as you can prove your lack of intent to marry to the INS and they believe you.

The decision is yours to make.
Kady
To quake:I didn't come here with the intent to marry, this decision was made just recently.

Use magic Report

Advanced Mode
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies

Points Rules

Archiver|mdiscuz

2017-7-27 02:45 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.204968 second(s), 34 queries , Gzip On.

Get a Discuz Forum