mdiscuz.com

Forgot password?
 立即註冊
Search
Hot search: 活動 交友 discuz
View: 10|Reply: 0

for all you that have up and left your home and moved stateside to be withyour s

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

新手上路

Credits
QQ
Post time 2012-4-25 17:29:37 | Show all posts |Read mode
Otherwise the internet and telephone keep you pretty well linked to
family and friends ( who in my experience are mostly jealous of your
move anyway !)

America is a great country to live in , an on the whole you will find
everyone very welcoming.
I'm marrying the man I love. I am appeased to some degree by the fact that i have lived over there before and I know the city that we will live in quite well - the stores, the roads etc.
.I missed having common ground culturally, so even when I spent a lot of time with people I didn't feel I was being truly myself, or truly knew them.The only way I have learned to deal with it is not dwell on it. I work full-time in UK and although i am looking forward to a little bit of time-out, as someone else said - it gets old pretty quick! The savings will dwindle and it will be tough to survive on one income for that period.
When we drove in to Spokane after two weeks away, I was unbelievably happy.

In my experience with the move I went through a few phases:

1) Happy busy delirium.

how hard was it?
how did you make friends?
how did you keep yourself occupied?
how did you deal with homesickness?
how did you feel leading up to leaving?

-- Lisa

Lisa.23 a litre in the UK. 1st week, after I got here, a little homesickness struck.It hits me at the strangest moments.
nbsp;
nbsp;how hard was it?.

but as soon as the dark months passed i found i was completely at home, at ease, and not missing my real home at all. I admit I phoned my parents in the UK at least once a week, when my wife wasnt working we made it a goal (she made it my goal.80 on the east coast andI understand over $2. being a tropical climate girl i was instantly depressed by the lack of sunlight. I was torn apart about leaving my sister and family (my parents have passed on). File that SSN form as soon as possible.Gardening in the warmer times of the year.

Another suggestion, do things alone. I'm probably about 6 weeks away from
making that move, and although its frightening the crap outta me, i know i'm
doing the right thing. so while he was away at work i'd go to libraries and bookstores and just do research and typing. The PC and the net with instant messengers and netmeeting has helped enormously keep in contact with the UK. she takes delight in introducing me when she takes me out with her to her clients . double the uk.This is when I thought america was really really cool and fun and everything was new and interesting. it also helped that he enjoys spending time alone with me as much as i do, so we spent many a weekends just hanging out together, going to movies, making his bachelor loft more of a home.At the time I was pregnant which made things harder and easier.C) I really feel I am coming HOME.at first this one was hard,
the INS did not let me work for 8 months so in that time while my USA
wife worked I kept busy redoing the inside of her-our house, painting,
fixing things, sorting out the yard. marmite included!).I have moved continents once before and have many friends who have moved.The hard stuff was getting support, but on the plus side, having a baby gave me a point of contact with people.0302171715.
Another suggestion, do things alone.

Another suggestion, do things alone. since I have been here.

Most of all I am looking forward to being with the woman that I love.I have more confidence and can have a bad day without the world caving in. and thats after the current offer with Verizon ceases.At the time I was pregnant which made things harder and easier. 24 hours doesn't seem to be enough!!Hobbies mostly.
Carla, having spent 2 months with me in the UK, learnt so much about me and the family, she makes english meals (which the kids love btw. but I was not really fully prepared . I also talked to a few members of my family, not to mention other expats in the USA online.All that talk about where you grew up and went to school and fell in love didn't give us the intimacy it used to.
However.Pete
Lisa Simmondswrote in message news:.A visit home too early kind of leaves you in longing with one foot in each world.

Originally posted by Lisa Simmonds
for all you that have up and left your home, and moved stateside to be with
your significant others.
Whole chicken in Asda in the UK was about £2-3 for a 2-3 person size. study a new language or pick up a hobby.

-- Lisa

i lived with my fiance for a while and then i had to come back so to not overstay my tourist visa and now we're getting the k1. I have a drivers license from when I was a student there so at least I can get around.

Yeah, winter seems long (I come from the tropics) but its fun too.They still creep up on me when I'm least expecting them.
Leading upto leaving? Awful !! I cannot even begin to describe what I felt. Ie We had to wait till we got married before we had 2 of the 3 identification docs to get a Learners licence.
nbsp;
nbsp;-- Lisa

I moved from Plymouth to San Diego in July of last year.

If you work now , then I think it is key to get your EAD organized as
quickly as possible after you arrive in the U.The 3 kids and the daycare also keeps me more or less on my toes.

-- Lisa
I left Australia just over 2 years ago and now live in Seattle. No matter how hard you prepare for this, it will be hard.

3) Currently, I still miss home, I get moody but after a holiday away (just returned from Vancouver B. Its very easy to live your partner's life - his restaurant, his bookstore, his home town.
Lisa Simmondswrote in message news:.

how hard was it?
how did you make friends?
how did you keep yourself occupied?
how did you deal with homesickness?
how did you feel leading up to leaving?

I've been a nervous wreck of late.This is when I thought america was really really cool and fun and everything was new and interesting.
I'm printing out your reply to show to Ken when he comes home tonight.I have moved continents once before and have many friends who have moved. I don't think I have. learnt to cook

his friends were really nice to me and so were his family, so i never felt like i didn't belong. I turn on BBC america and watch ground force etc :-)
Yesterday Things came to a head.
nbsp;for all you that have up and left your home, and moved stateside to be with
nbsp;your significant others.it has been a long road, but it is time to begin our life together properly now and start the next stage of INS paperwork!!

My sincere thanks to everyone on this newsgroup who have been a tower of support and reassurance up to this stage in the long process.lol) to find any shops here or restaurants selling something close to Brit food, which isnt easy up in New England,USA.

As with most of us involved in the K1 process this was a long awaited
move and I was far more excited by the prospect of being with my
fiancee than nervous about leaving the ( still , I'm reliably informed
) damp and cold U.I had several jobs waiting for me to deal with once I got here which really really helped keep me occupied.What was hardest was leaving my friends and all the dear familiar places.

you'll be allright
do stuff you're interested in while he's away and then make the most of your time together when you're with each other.19 a gallon on the West coast.Places that make your own memories.But you are going to live through it believe me.

Yeah, winter seems long (I come from the tropics) but its fun too. We saved $10 per month at least by going back to one line, and DSL for the internet.And reading and cooking, of course. well.Three years ago I was depressed for days when my sister and bro-in-law left after a visit over to see us.

My advice is NOT to visit your current home for AT LEAST 18 months. with Ken and our son.Places that make your own memories.It does get better.

your significant others.

I and my now inlaws are all licensed ham radio operators.30 a gallon to over $1. just being happy to see loving faces again.I left my Mon/dad and two sisters, their families and my stepdaughter and her 6 year old daughter.
Its been just over 1 month now.We made a home together, I learned my way around the local stores, found a decent newspaper and bookshop and even started to meet people (who seemed interesting).I suffered from a sense of enclosure in the US culture - and really struggled to find independent news, people who had travelled, those who had lived abroad and could understand how Americans are disliked sometimes (this was post Sept 11 too, everyone was driving around with flags and it was not an easy time to be a new-American). I'm probably about 6 weeks away from
making that move, and although its frightening the crap outta me, i know i'm
doing the right thing.very, it took me a few months to sort out everything family, financial and heartwise

nbsp;how did you make friends?. AARRGG. they whistle.

Shannon
Shannon, your reply to Lisa blew me away.
My dear, what you are feeling is 100% normal. Car needs a new clutch.youll be fine!I'm probably about 6 weeks away from
nbsp;making that move, and although its frightening the crap outta me, i know i'm
nbsp;doing the right thing. i kept myself busy by writing my thesis, i had just finished college and needed to turn that in. I'm marrying the man I love. the holidays themselves made me a wee bit homesick, especially when i came back from xmas eve dinner with his family and found a message from all my family taking turns at the phone to wish me a merry xmas.

My advice is NOT to visit your current home for AT LEAST 18 months.

but when i moved in with him i happened to do it in the middle of winter.

I am in a very similar postition to you Lisa - I am about 6 weeks away from making the K-1 trip to North Carolina.When I say we were paying $1.I was only here for
about six weeks before I started work and already I had begun to feel
a little isolated ( the money runs out fast too , I found !)
Being in a work environment makes the whole making new friends thing
much easier.I wrote interesting letters home.

nbsp;how did you feel leading up to leaving?.

good luck!

your significant others.All that talk about where you grew up and went to school and fell in love didn't give us the intimacy it used to. Carla had 2 phone lines plus an internet account . Places that make your own memories.I criticize stuff here, but also love and admire many aspects of my new home.

Pete

Use magic Report

Advanced Mode
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies

Points Rules

Archiver|mdiscuz

2017-6-26 03:15 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.228727 second(s), 34 queries , Gzip On.

Get a Discuz Forum